International Graduate Program, ADMISSIONS INFORMATION FALL 2017 Introduction to the International Master of Fine Art (IMFA),China Academy of Art
International Graduate Program
ADMISSIONS INFORMATION FALL 2017 Introduction to the International Master of Fine Art (IMFA),
China Academy of Art
The China Academy of Art, formerly the National Academy of Arts, was established in 1928 as a center for specialist studies in the Fine Arts. The Academy is located in Hangzhou, the provincial capital of Zhejiang province, which is one of China’s most economically and culturally developed provinces. The Nanshan Campus sits beside the West Lake, Xiangshan Campus at the foot of the Xiangshan Mountain. Tranquil and visually exquisite, it is an ideal setting for the practice and study of the Arts. The Academy’s ten specialist schools for Chinese painting and calligraphy, painting, design, inter-media, sculpture and public art, media and animation, architecture, art and humanities, manual art, art education and management, all presently accept international students for Masters and PhD level study. At present, nearly 700 international students from 90 countries are studying at the Academy.
THE IMFA PROGRAM
The International Master of Fine Art degree program commences in Fall 2017. This three year program requires full-time residency in Hangzhou, China, and focuses on Contemporary Art which involves the intensive creative practice of art work in all visual arts media (studio art, photographic arts, digital arts, conceptual design, social practice and relational art and installation). Instruction is in English, and Chinese language is not a prerequisite for application. Special emphasis is also placed on the academic study international approaches to art history and theory. Elective courses of Chinese language and culture will be enable students to take maximum advantage of their presence in China and understanding its current cultural realities. Studio facilities, in a wide variety of media, are made available to all IMFA students who will participate in public exhibits of their art work as well as academic forums, critiques and workshops aimed at the International community. Frequent visiting artists and scholars, both in-person and through internet, will offer insights and feedback on the artwork created in the IMFA. For the first year, IMFA students will be selected from art colleges and universities in the United States only. As the program grows and develops, students from other countries will be included in the IMFA until the overall mix of the program. Ten students will be admitted in 2017 academic year.
THE DEGREE OF IMFA PROGRAM
The normal length of the IMFA program is three years. Students will be awarded the MFA Degree of China Academy of Art upon the successful completion of all required courses, and presentation of final artwork, written thesis. The written thesis can be in English. A mandatory, final faculty review and thesis defense ensures that all IMFA graduates have demonstrated the highest levels of artistic achievement and are fully prepared to enter the international art world.
All applicants to the IMFA at the China Academy of Arts must have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants who are currently completing an accredited degree program may apply to the IMFA if the anticipated completion date is before August, 2017. This program is not open to citizens of the People’s Republic of China (including Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao). Admission is based on the demonstrated potential of the applicant to make a significant contribution to the international art community. Demonstration of outstanding scholarship, strong personal character and artistic achievement and cultural awareness are all important factors in the admissions process. The applicant’s perceived ability to benefit from the IMFA program and their ability to make a positive impact on international culture, over a significant period of time, are central to the selection process.
For the first year of the IMFA program in 2017, only ten students from America will be admitted. The Chinese-American Government Scholarship offers full financial coverage including all tuition and living expenses and will be available to entering students deemed to have exceptional potential. All applicants are automatically considered for scholarships. Scholarship recipients are selected by a faculty committee from among applicants to the IMFA.
1. Completed and signed IMFA Application. The Application form is enclosed.
2. $120 non-refundable application fee to CAA account from American bank. The Remittance Form is enclosed. Payments are made through direct bank transfer only.
3. Applicants must be American citizens. Three copies of applicant's passport (photo page)
4. Digital image of the applicant (neutral background, jpeg or pdf file < 1 mb). Full-face images with neutral backgrounds suitable for passports. Blurred or darkened images are not acceptable
5. Digital images of all academic transcripts and diplomas from all post-secondary schools attended. Final official notarized transcripts and diplomas must be submitted before enrolling.
6. Digital portfolio of 15-20 images of artworks, completed in any media, within the past 24 months (jpeg or tif files < 10 MB total). Include a numbered list of all included artworks including title, date, media, dimensions (duration) and a brief explanation of each artwork.
7. A written statement of at least 800 words offering a detailed discussion of the applicant’s interest in the International MFA program, an explanation and discussion of their artistic achievements and interests to date, and a statement about the applicant’s professional ambitions and intentions. Please discuss your interest in the IMFA program and your specific plan for taking advantage of the resources available through the IMFA program and the China Academy of Art.
8. Two letters of recommendation from former faculty members, curators, supervisors or other arts or academic professionals with whom the applicant has worked in the past two years. References should send pdf copies of letter on institutional letterhead directly to CAAIMFA@163.com
9. Certificate of Health (attached) – completed and signed by the appropriate health care provider – sent with academic credentials as a pdf file.
Send all of the completed application materials to CAAIMFA@163.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 20, 2017
Ms. Gao Xindan
Room 331, No.9 Building, 218 Nanshan Road, International College of China Academy of Art,
In the US
Prof. Ming Ren
firstname.lastname@example.org Tel (650)255-4647
Prof. Michael Grady email@example.com Tel (510)326-4208